Contemporary Living Room Renovation
Do you feel your living room is outdated and doesn’t reflect your personality? Do you want to create a warm and inviting space for your family and friends but don’t know where to start?
The living room is a place to relax, gather for family conversations, watch television, or play games. Each layout will have some level of design challenges. Be it a long, narrow living room, an odd-shaped living area, a squarish living room, or an open plan where the lines are not clear between the living, dining and kitchen.
How do you decorate and brighten your living room in terms of its appearance and functionality? Renovating your living room can be daunting, but with our help, it doesn’t have to be!
Living Room Interior Designs And Renovation Ideas
You can design and renovate your living room in many different ways. It all depends on your taste and what you are looking for in terms of functionality and aesthetic appeal. Some people prefer a more traditional look, while others prefer a more modern approach. Ultimately, it is up to you to decide what your living room looks like. However, there are some general tips that you can follow to ensure that your living room looks its best.
Floor For The Living Room
Flooring is one of the most critical aspects when renovating or designing a living room. The flooring can make or break the look of the room. You can use many different materials and finishes for the floor, and choosing one that will complement the rest of the room’s design is crucial.
- An excellent choice for the living room is hardwood flooring, especially if the rest of the interior of your home is also made of wood. Hardwood provides a warm and natural look to the space. Wood floors are usually considered the most versatile option, as they can blend with almost any decor style.
- Ceramic or homogeneous tile flooring is popular, as they come in many different colours, styles and textures. You can find flooring designs in the current trends, such as the look of a rustic-chic or modern home. They are incredibly durable and easy to care for and maintain.
- Marble flooring is also a good option, especially for people who want to get a feeling of luxury into the room.
- Carpeting can also be a good option for the living room, providing warmth to the floor while adding softness.
- You can opt for a more diverse tile and wood combination.
Walls For The Living Room
The walls play a significant role in the overall aesthetics of the space and can be used to create a particular ambience or feeling. For example, light colours on the walls can make a room feel more open and airy, while dark colours can make a room feel more cosy and intimate.
You may want to craft out a living room feature wall that creates a focal point for space and shows off your personality, preference and artistic sense.
Having a feature wall in the living room will draw your attention, subconsciously enhance the area and significantly affect the appearance and feel of a room. Custom-made feature walls can also be very functional that add extra storage space!
Storage Of The Living Room
Is maximizing storage important to you? How much storage you will need in your living room depends on your space and what kind of furniture you have. There are various ways to add storage to a living room, such as built-ins, shelves, cabinets, and chests. Each has its benefits and drawbacks, so choosing the option that best fits your needs is essential. Built-ins can be expensive and difficult to change if the style of the room changes, but they offer a lot of storage in a small space.
Window Curtains/Blinds For The Living Room
Curtains and blinds are a great way to add personality to your living room. They can play a significant role in the overall look and feel of the room and create various looks, from traditional to modern. You have many options, but you should consider the amount of light you want to let in and the style of the room before you decide. Choosing stylish drapes that are easy to clean and look fantastic is also essential.
Furniture, Lighting & Home Decoration For The Living Room
We may use different furniture pieces and decorations depending on the room’s style. For example, a modern-style living room may be better suited for minimalistic furniture and decorations. In contrast, a traditional-style living room may be better suited for pieces such as comfy sofas, armchairs, a coffee table and an end table. A traditional-style living room may also add a rug to the space to make it look more comfortable. The colour of the furniture should be in line with the rest of the room’s décor.
Living room lights will elevate any living room design. They should blend well into the background and act as decorative accessories. There are three types of lighting for the living rooms:
- Ambient light provides a room with overall illumination.
- Task light illuminates a reading corner or dedicated work zones.
- Accent lights highlight specific features of your house.